The Daily Globe - Serving Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon Counties

 
 

Dorothy L. Harma

 

DULUTH, Minn. - Dorothy L. Harma, 95, of Hurley, Wis ., died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, at Essentia Health-St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth, with her loving family by her side.

The former Dorothy Kangas was born July 5, 1918, in Iron Belt, Wis ., daughter of the late Samuel and Jennie (Lantta) Kangas, and graduated from Iron Belt High School in 1936.

She was married to Oliver A. Harma on Oct. 2, 1937, at the Zion Lutheran Church parsonage in Ironwood, Mich ., by the late Rev. Jacob Hirvi. Oliver preceded her in death on Nov. 1, 1994.

Dorothy was a longtime member of Zion Lutheran Church in Ironwood and the former Hannah Circle. She was also a member of the Auxiliary to Iron County Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1580 and Kimball Homemakers. She enjoyed traveling, cooking, baking and sharing coffee and goodies with visitors. She especially enjoyed spending time with family.

Surviving are three sons, Ronald (Ann Marie), The Villages, Fla ., Roger (Marilyn), New Hope, Minn ., and Robert (Janet), Wautoma, Wis .; eight grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; two sisters-in-law, Irene Harma, Hurley, and Mary Kinney-Kangas, Minneapolis; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Besides her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by three brothers, Tyko, Clarence and Samuel Kangas; and a sister, Lillian Tillner.

Cremation has taken place.

Memorial services and interment will be held at a later date to be announced this summer.

In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred to Zion Lutheran Church or the Little Finland Harma House.

Arrangements have been entrusted to McKevitt-Patrick Funeral Home and Cremation Services of Ironwood, where condolences may be expressed online at mckevittpatrickfuneralhome.com.

The family would like to express sincere gratitude to the staff at Villa Maria Health and Rehabilitation Center and Sky View Nursing Center in Hurley and Essentia Health-St. Mary's Palliative Care in Duluth for the wonderful care given to Dorothy.