The Daily Globe - Serving Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon Counties

Wakefield City Council urges residents to eliminate personal property tax


Miranda Anderson/Daily Globe

THE WAKEFIELD City Council discusses an addendum to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources Trust Fund grant agreement at its meeting Monday evening. Pictured are, from left, members Joseph DelFavero, Richard Bolen and Bob Blaskowski

WAKEFIELD - The Wakefield City Council adopted a "resolution supporting local community stabilization and personal property tax without raising taxes" at its meeting Monday evening.

The resolution urges local residents to vote "yes" on the proposal to eliminate the personal property tax, which many businesses consider an unfair double tax, city manager John Siira, said.

On March 28, the city received $8,600 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help cover flood costs for 2013.

A total of $73,487 was received for three other projects, including the renovation of the Sunday Lake Dam Spillway and sandbagging for flooded areas.

As part of the grant agreement, 75 percent of all emergency-related costs would be covered by FEMA and the remaining 25 percent would be split between the state and local governments.

The council approved an addendum to the original grant agreement. It also authorized the appropriate signatures for the agreement.

It tabled the Michigan Department of Natural Resources Trust Fund grant project design and construction engineering proposals until further information is available.

The project is designated to renovate park buildings and restore the Sunday Lake pier.

"I'm concerned the change house with the condition it's in isn't worth saving," mayor Les Schneck, said.

The council decided to sell the property surrounding the Olson Avenue right-of-ay, which will require an auction.

"By selling the property, the city will get revenue and also generate future tax money," Siira said.

The council appointed Michael Grayson as the city's At-Large Alternate on the Gogebic Range Water Authority. Grayson will replace current alternate Al Prisbe.

It authorized the attendance of city representatives to the annual Michigan Municipal League Convention, which will be held in Marquette on October 15-17.

At the convention, council member Richard Bolen will be named the MML president for 2014-15.

The council approved a traffic control order to close Hancock Street between Brotherton and Smith Street on July 3 for a block party.

It adopted a resolution naming incoming city manager Margot Rusinek as the Act 51 Street Administrator.

The council discussed plans to condemn the properties at 502 Sunday Lake Street and 111 Bedell Avenue.

Both properties have been sent letters requesting plans to remove the dangerous structures, Siira said, and the 30-day deadline for both properties has been reached.

The next meeting will be held July 14..


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017

Rendered 05/09/2018 14:21