The Daily Globe - Serving Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon Counties

Fire consumes Ironwood home Friday morning

 

Ian Minielly/Daily Globe

ONLY THE chimney remains after a fire engulfed and consumed a home early Friday in Ironwood. Public safety officials initially thought the owner was still in the house, so they created a large debris field looking for the owner's remains. The owner was later located away from home and the search was called off, without anyone getting injured in the fire.

IRONWOOD - There is not much left to see.

Fire consumed an Ironwood home at 23 Brogan St. in the vicinity of South Range Road early Friday morning. The fire was reported at 3:50 a.m., and by the time Ironwood Public Safety Department arrived on scene, the entire structure was engulfed in flames, according to officer Adam Clemens.

Shortly thereafter, the metal roof fell in and made the fire even more difficult to extinguish, said Lt. Michael Rimkus. The IPSD initially thought the owner was still in the structure, so officers tore the remains of the building apart. He was later discovered safe and not at home during the blaze.

Rimkus said there were no injuries to report, all personnel were safe, and the IPSD was assisted by Beacon Ambulance, Xcel Energy and the public works department.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 08/15/2018 13:16