The Daily Globe - Serving Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon Counties

Three city eyesores to be demolished

 

May 16, 2018



By RALPH ANSAMI

ransami@yourdailyglobe.com

Ironwood — The demolition of three more eyesores in the city moved ahead Monday with the awarding of bids to Snow Country Contracting, the only bidder.

The removal of the three structures will be in addition to five demolition bids that were previously approved by the city commission, City Manager Scott Erickson said.

When the road weight limits are lifted in the area, there will be a flurry of activity on the blight fight front, Erickson told city commissioners.

City building inspector Dennis Hewitt said a Hardest Hit blight grant will cover the cost of the demolition project at 937 Washington St., for $15,136. The grant will also be used to purchase the parcel at a final price to be negotiated with the property owner.

For a demolition project at 122 W. Tamarack St., the $13,559 cost will come from the city’s general fund, Hewitt said. That parcel was up for public auction, but no one purchased it.

The $18,811 cost of demolishing a structure at 447 E. Pine St. will be covered by a combination of city funding and grant money. The grant will cover about two-thirds of the cost. That parcel is owned by the city.

City commissioners scheduled a Tuesday, May 29, 5:25 p.m. public hearing on a blight violation at 301 Kennedy St.

In approving goals for 2018, city commissioners listed the blight fight as number one, noting demolition of some old business buildings was a priority.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 08/11/2018 12:02