The Daily Globe - Serving Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon Counties

Space heater believed cause of Houk Street fire

 

Jason Juno/Daily Globe

FIREFIGHTERS spray water into the second floor of a Houk Street house Saturday night after a fire broke out around 9 p.m. in the Ironwood residence. According to the Ironwood Public Safety Department, a space heater is believed to be the cause of the fire.

By RICHARD JENKINS

rjenkins@yourdailyglobe.com

IRONWOOD - A fire that started Saturday night in a Houk Street house is believed to be caused by a space heater.

"The fire appears to have started from a space heater and an extension cord not rated to support operation of this device," an Ironwood Public Safety Department official said in a news release. The homeowners reported the fire near an outlet in the kitchen, according to the release, and it quickly spread to the second floor and attic areas.

Firefighters from Ironwood and Hurley responded to the structure on the 300 block of E. Houk S...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018