The Daily Globe - Serving Gogebic, Iron and Ontonagon Counties

Standoff ends with township man in custody


Richard Jenkins/Daily Globe

LOCAL LAW enforcement officers talk following a standoff with a Vanderhagen Road resident in Ironwood Township Tuesday. The three-hour standoff ended when the police officers breached the house following the failure of negotiations. While it was believed no one was hurt during the standoff, the man is being held in the Gogebic County Jail on unspecified charges.


Ironwood Township - An Ironwood Township man is in custody, following an approximately three-hour standoff Tuesday that resulted in a portion of Vanderhagen Road being temporarily closed to traffic.

The Gogebic County Sheriff's Department responded to the property north of Airport Road for a dispute between neighbors at approximately 2 p.m.

The call turned into an "altercation" between the resident, 47, and deputies, Gogebic County Sheriff Pete Matonich said in a press release. During the altercation the suspect retreated into his house and barricaded himself inside, with access to weapons.

At approximately 5:02 p.m., three rapid explosions - possibly flash-bang grenades - were heard, followed by shouting, in the area around the property.

Officers breached the residence and the man was taken into custody, Matonich said, following the failure of negotiations.

Law enforcement sources at the scene indicated no one appeared seriously hurt as a result of the standoff. While a Beacon ambulance could be seen going onto the property, it didn't have its emergency lights on as it drove down Vanderhagen away from the scene.

The man is being held at the Gogebic County Jail on "charges related to the incident." A Daily Globe call seeking clarification as to the nature of the charges wasn't returned prior to press time.

Additional charges may be brought in the case, Matonich said, as the investigation continues.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019